3 Books for Adventure Lovers of All Ages

I love reading, and I'm always asking people for book recommendations. Naturally, any time I come across good reads, I'm happy to share. It's been a few months since I've posted a book round up, and this time around I've got picks for everyone, including the kiddos. Two of them are being released this month, (I received complimentary advanced copies for review), and the third is an oldie but a definite goodie.

Adventures for your soul: 21 Ways to Transform Your Habits and Reach Your Full Potential 

Shannon Kaiser. (Berkley, August 25, 2015). Shannon is a fellow blogger at PlaywiththeWorld, an inspirational author, speaker, travel writer, and life coach who left her successful career in advertising to pursue writing. (A girl after my own heart; I left the PR/ad world to teach!) Adventures for Your Soul identifies the top emotional habits that block us from living life with passion and purpose. Kaiser gives useful advice anyone can follow, and practical ways to apply it, such as journal prompts. (I love supporting our blogging/writing community, and when I asked her how we can bring adventure into our everyday lives, she said, "Our daily habits make up 40% of our day, naturally we get bored and we feel stuck. Switching up habits is the path to creating more fun and adventure in your life. Something as simple as taking a new route to work, or ordering a new menu item can help you feel more joyful."

National Geographic Kids Guide to Photography: Tips & Tricks on How to Be a Great Photographer

Annie Griffiths and Nancy Honovich. (National Geographic Children's Books; August 4, 2015; ages 8-12). Annie Griffiths is a Nat Geo photographer and a super cool mom who has traveled the world with her kids, teaching them photography along the way. This book covers the essentials of photography (lighting, composition, etc.) and photo equipment, from smartphones, point-and-shoot, SLR to even underwater cameras, but in a kid-friendly and fun format (it looks like a magazine). I'm still learning the ins and outs of photography myself, and I picked up some good information from this book. There are practice assignments and cute DYI projects, like how to make a telescope or a smart phone movie projector, and kids are invited to showcase their new photography skills online on Nat Geo Kids photography community.

The Pilgrimage: A Contemporary Quest for Ancient Wisdom

Paulo Coelho. (Harper Collins, 1992) The Pilgrimage is Coelho's first book, paving the way for his bestseller The Alchemist. One of my favorite compatriot writers, Paulo Coelho writes about his journey across Spain along the legendary Camino de Santiago de Compostela, which pilgrims have traveled since Middle Ages. The Camino is something I hope to do one day, and this book is a great way to learn about it. His books are deep, meaningful and good tools to understand the nature of truth through the simplicity of life.




Which books have fueled your adventurous side lately?

you might also like

review
Louise

About the Writer

I'm Louise, a Tampa Bay based Brazilian-American travel blogger. Join us as we learn and share the ins-and-outs of traveling with a toddler and our sweet rescue pup Oreo, while promoting local nonprofits and wellness along the way.