5 FAMILY-FRIENDLY SPRING EVENTS NOT TO MISS IN TAMPA, FLORIDA

Florida Strawberry Festival
It's really no secret why most people love Spring; the temperature is so mild and it's finally time to enjoy the outdoors after being cooped up during the winter. For us Floridians, though, it's the final hurrah before our sticky, crazy hot, and seemingly endless summer. Even though pollen levels can get miserably high, springtime in Tampa has not disappointed! Between spring training, the beach, and all the outdoors festivals, there's so much to do. I've listed our top five family-friendly activities of the season (and I foresee this list exponentially growing each year).

NEW YORK YANKEES SPRING TRAINING
Living with two boys who are (already) obsessed with baseball, spring training is a big deal at our house. The Yankees have their spring training facility here in Tampa, and whether you love them or hate them, attending their games is so much fun! Plus Steinbrenner Field has just been renovated and is looking sharp! Tickets cost as low as $25 (plus $10 for parking) and you could very well get an autograph if you're into it - chances are better if you show up early but remain outside the stadium, where some players will sign on their way out of practice.




FLORIDA STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL
Though I had heard so much about this festival, I had no idea what to expect during my first visit! You might be saying "duh, lady, you can expect strawberries." But you'd be surprised at how few strawberry-related items I found there! It was instead a huuuuuge state fair type of event, with carnival rides and fair food as far as the eye could see. However, I still tasted the best strawberry shake I had in a while. Check discounted tickets before visiting, they are available through Publix supermarkets among others. And if you have little ones like me, do yourself a huge favor: go early, and leave early.



One of my favorite outdoors places in Tampa is Curtis Hixon Park, located downtown by the river. It has a dog park, a playground, and a splash pad; the Tampa Museum of Art and the Children's Museum are adjacent, and the newly finished riverwalk connects to restaurants and other neighborhoods. It's a community's dream come true. Every Thursday night you can catch free live music at Rock the Park, as well as fun events like:

GASPARILLA MUSIC FEST
I wrote about GMF before, but I just loved experiencing Cage the Elephant and the whole festival with my best girlfriends. This event is completely family-friendly (mostly during the day), and I can't wait to go again next year! All the best local restaurants have booths at the festival, local and national live music nonstop, and the most gorgeous river view in town.




MAYOR'S RIVER O'GREEN FEST
If you're searching for a free, shenanigan-less, family-friendly St. Paddy's celebration, this is for you. There are free snacks for the kids, beer for the grownups, you can bring your pups, watch live Irish music and dancers, and check out the neon green river. (Dyed with biodegradable materials). Slainte!




ROCK ASANA
Another free event at the park, Rock Asana is a free yoga class offered by Bella Prana Yoga for yogis of all levels and aptitudes. This year, about 1000 people moved and flowed to the tune of 80s and 90s rock music, and sipped on drinks, and food trucks snacks after. My son was with me and I just almost couldn't handle all the tiny yogi cuteness.

Awesome leggings c/o pinstokill.com
I love spending time outside, and feeling like I am part of a community, so partaking in these events really brightens my days!  

What are your favorite springtime activities near you?

you might also like

yoga
Louise

About the Writer

I'm Louise, a Tampa Bay based Brazilian-American travel blogger. Join us as we learn and share the ins-and-outs of traveling with a toddler and our sweet rescue pup Oreo, while promoting local nonprofits and wellness along the way.