Crash course - Pittsburgh in 3 hours or less

pittsburgh Pennsylvania west virginia duquesne incline
Location: Pittsburgh, PA.
Travel dates: August 19, 2011.

En route to my brother's wedding in the mountains of West Virginia, my family flew into Pittsburgh, PA and drove up from there. As a bunch of travel nuts, we of course had to explore it, even for only a few hours. I have some friends from there, but I wasn't able to get in touch with them in time to get the scoop on the town - and none of us really did any research on what to do beforehand - which could be stressful, but at the end of the day was super exciting to me. We rented a car and went straight downtown, for an easy fix. Beautiful architecture, a little bit of the old, a little bit of the new, co-existing really well.



Sports World Specialties

It was around lunchtime, so i did one of my favorite things - I looked for the coolest-looking store around and asked for their favorite local spot to grab some grub. Couldn't get any cooler than the Sports World Specialties. Lot's of amazing vintage sports memorabilia, and pretty cool guys, who sent us walking to Market Square, where an impromptu demonstration against Hershey's ensued.

Market Square

Now the coolest part of Pittsburgh was the Duquesne Incline. (Voted one of the top ten sites in the world for viewing a cityscape by USAToday - here's the full list) I found out about it over lunch, and we unanimously decided that would be our next stop. Getting there from downtown was surprisingly easy (with the help of a GPS of course) but for someone as directionally-challenged as I am, I was VERY proud.

Duquesne
So parking was free - (yes!) and the admission fee to the ride was super cheap too (about $5) (yes, yes!) and people were so friendly :) At the top of the incline, I got an unofficial overview of the town from this super kind man who was doing the maintenance there: the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers, which meet to form the Ohio River, Heinz Field, etc. Weather was a little overcast but the view as AH-MAZING nonetheless. So worth it!

view of Downtown Pittsburgh

A little behind-the-scenes look at the trolley system... Then it was off to West Virginia...stay tuned for the next post about how gorgeous it was! :)

you might also like

West Virginia

5 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! I have been to Pittsburgh a few times and it is a really nice city! You are right about the view, it's gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing you at the next meetup!!! xo Meggan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been to Pittsburgh once but never had a chance to explore it as you did. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Look forward to meeting you too.

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous pictures!! I've never been to Pittsburgh, but your post has made me want to take a visit! I hope to meet you at the next meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that view is definitely worth seeing! thanks for the comments ladies...take a look at my newest post wink wink ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Incline is definitely on our itinerary for this weekend. I like your method for finding great places to eat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a lot to me! Please note I respond privately via email, so If yo are a no-reply blogger, check back!

Louise

About the Writer

I'm Louise, a Tampa Bay based Brazilian-American travel blogger. Join us as we learn and share the ins-and-outs of traveling with a toddler and our sweet rescue pup Oreo, while promoting local nonprofits and wellness along the way.