3 Books to Inspire a Happier, More Optimistic Life

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." Mr. Rogers
What a wise mama. Her words deeply resonated with me, and so that's what I'm doing. Continuing to focus on good vibes, love, happiness. Concentrating on living a balanced life of love, purpose, gratitude, and service. Here are three books that have absolutely inspired me, each in their own way, to lead a happier, more optimistic, and centered life. Also, they are easy and fun reads - which is about all I can handle right now. I was given a review copy of two of the titles, and I came across the third three years ago, just before I moved to Arizona.

Life is Good: The Book - How to Live with Purpose & Enjoy the Ride

Bert and John Jacobs (National Geographic Society, 2015). We all recognize the charismatic and fun brand Life is Good, right? The company's founders, brothers Bert and John Jacobs, wrote the quintessential feel-good book; an illustrated guide, sharing their path through life and celebrating the power of optimism. They dedicated the book to their mom, Joan Jacobs, who showed them "that being an optimist is not only fun - it's powerful." Life is Good  donates 10 percent of its net profits to help kids in need through the The Life is Good Kids Foundation (to date, the company has donated over $11 million). A great read, and an even greater cause *I even remember applying to work for their nonprofit after college!* For more information please visit LifeisGood.com


The Happiness Project

Gretchen Rubin (Harper, 2011). I first read it when I was pregnant, and I remember dog-earing and highlighting so many pages.  So much of what Rubin wrote might seem like common sense, but you would be surprised at how important it is to remind ourselves of the little things.  The Happiness Project, (which started as a blog!) has become a movement of sorts, discussed in study groups and book clubs, assigned by professors, teachers, psychiatrists, and clergy.The Happiness Project has spent more than two years on the New York Times bestseller list and has been published in more than 30 languages. Yup, I'd say give it a whirl.





Nourish: Mind, Body & Soul 

Amber Rose, Sadie Frost and Holly Davidson. (Kyle Books, 2015). A gorgeous coffee table book, Nourish is a one-stop shop to leading an all-around healthier, more balanced life. It's a practical guide packed with delicious recipes to detox and nourish the body, exercise routines and tips to strengthen it, beauty recipes and regimens to soothe the skin, and yoga and meditation routines to still the mind. The authors present a large amount of information in a surprisingly easy-to-follow, non-overwhelming manner. This beautifully-photographed book is a great starting point to a healthier lifestyle.




Which books have inspired you to lead a happier life?

you might also like

yoga
Louise

About the Writer

I'm Louise, a Tampa Bay based Brazilian-American travel blogger. Join us as we learn and share the ins-and-outs of traveling with a toddler and our sweet rescue pup Oreo, while promoting local nonprofits and wellness along the way.